A contrived but best-selling book

Verity

by Colleen Hoover

/ Rating: ⭐ /

I hated Verity. This opinion is unusual in that this book is a huge bestseller. If you think it was a good book, that’s fine. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 

I thought it was contrived, predictable, and poorly written. By the time I got to the end, I wanted to throw my Kindle across the room.

Warning: This review contains SPOILERS. Stop reading now if you want to be surprised by this wretched book.

Verity is a hugely popular novelist. She has a horrible car accident and remains in a coma. The husband, who is so faceless I can't even remember his name, hires Lowen, a “struggling writer,” to finish Verity's hugely moneymaking series. He entrusts his cash cow to an unknown nobody, sounds reasonable. Hey, there’s some serious coin to be made here! I already don’t like the greedy, money-grubbing bastard.

Lowen is a mouse of a woman. Yawn. While doing research for the project, she "stumbles" upon Verity's Autobiography and is shocked - shocked I tell you - by what she reads. Now, does she put the thing away? Does she tell the husband of the shocking details revealed in the book? NOPE. She keeps reading. She just has to know: IS VERITY EVIL OR NOT?

I passionately hated the Autobiography, which was the book's central device. The narrative alternates between Lowen’s point of view and the text of the Autobiography. As each “new” chapter is revealed, it becomes clear that Verity is not what she seems.

The premise of this book is that Verity wrote this book and squirreled it away before her accident. The "shocking" thing is that Verity had been living a lie! Gasp! Instead of the loving wife and mother she portrayed herself to be, she's in reality an evil vixen! She is obsessed with her husband to the point where she doesn't want to share him WITH THEIR KIDS. She's evil! She's awful! ... Or is she? That's the alleged mystery until the last chapter.

This is where I started to space over the details. I mean, really. This Verity person has spent her whole life living a lie, but she writes all the horrifying facts in chilling detail in what amounts to a confession. She leaves the manuscript where it can be easily found. Would a real evil mastermind do that? Nope. The autobiography manuscript should have been titled Deus Ex Machina.

I rushed through the rest of the book but should have put it down. I hated this book so much I'll never read anything by this author again.

I can’t in good conscience recommend this book to anyone, except possibly people who think Lifetime movies have surprising endings

No comments:

Post a Comment